14/05/2010

Review: American - The Bll Hicks Story

I am available for children's parties, by the way.

Like most people, I recognise the name Bill Hicks but don't actually know a lot about him. American comedians that are extremely famous usually started out on Saturday Night Live then moved on to decent comedies before finally settling for films with talking animals or ones that require them to wear a fat suit. Bill did none of these things which is probabaly why he remained somewhat of a mystery before his death in 1994.

Not only is this film great because it manages to tell Bill's story to those that don't know him whilst living up to the expectations of his rabid fans, but it also has a nice spin on the usual documentary format. I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing the film's directors Matt Harlock and Paul Thomas and made sure to ask them about the animation style of the film. I watched it online and although it was off-putting at first I soon got used to the cut out photographs and ultimately embraced the style that they had chosen.

If you think I sound unusually sombre it's because I genuinely enjoyed this film and decided that my snarky comments aren't appropriate. Don't worry, I'll be back to normal when SATC2 comes out...

Rating: 4/5

P.S. Doesn't it seem wrong that Bill is gone and we're stuck with the Frat Pack?