10/06/2010

Get Some Nuts

The A-Team doesn't come out until the end of July but our American cousins will get to see it this week. Along with the flurry of reviews hitting the net, many have already reported that some of the original cast aren't happy with the adaptation. Mr T told The Sunday Express...

"They offered me a cameo role, but I turned it down because I knew what was coming.
People die in the film and there's plenty of sex but when we did it no one got hurt and it was all played for fun and family entertainment. These seem to be elements nobody is interested in any more.It was too graphic for me. I've no doubt it will do big business at the box office but it's nothing like the show we turned out every week."

Hmm, despite the fact that I know it is going to be a pathetic piece of trash, I'm quite looking forward to this. True, I'm not old enough to be a fan of the show but I've seen a fare few repeats and Family Guy's spoof episode so I consider myself an expert. I can understand why the T is pissed, they've pretty much bastardised it (I know I haven't seen it) and he's hurt. It's cool, I understand. But for me this, along with The Losers, will be a constant reminder that Hollywood are incapable of making decent action films anymore.

Before a screening earlier this week, a friend and I were chatting about the absolute greatness of Die Hard. This is a film over 20 years old that is still universally heaped with praise. Why can't they do it like that anymore? Why can't we have action, with story, with characters and wit and everything else? I think a lot of films are let off easy because no-one wants to look like an arsehole for slamming a stupid summer movie. I hated 2012 and everytime I voice that opinion I'm attacked because "it's supposed to be stupid."

NO. We must demand decent actions films that aren't so knowingly rammed with pop culture they practically drown in their own post modernism. We must demand that along with CGI, 3D and all the other technological advances that we get (and deserve) a decent story to go along with it. Then again, I want to see The A-Team so I'm part of the problem. I'm just happy I don't have to waste my money on it in order to do so. I pity you poor bastards.