29/06/2010

A Word On Remakes

Although my previous posts may prove otherwise, I actually hate berating remakes. It's so easy to lambast Hollywood for being lazy fucks and just re-hashing old classics, adding a dash of blurry 3D and expecting people to fork over £8.50 for it. Love 'em or hate 'em, remakes happen and if we got all in a tizz over each one we'd have no time in the day. BUT, this post over at Heckler Spray has brought something up that I'll never understand.

Basically, Megan Fox has come out and said that she would love to star in a remake of the much loved cult classic The Lost Boys. Apparently, the film has "stuck with me my whole life, there's something magic about it for me." She later backtracked and said a remake would "destroy it" but always thought "the female character in it is not really amazing, but if you were to turn one of the male characters female, I'd love to do that."

Honestly, where do I start? It's one thing to remake a film to 'bring it up to date' with fancy CGI and a useless extra dimension, that's painful but I get it, they want films to make money. But what I don't get is people who say they love the film so much that they want to do it again and if they are actors, put themselves in it. It's like Matt Reeves, director of Let Me In, who loved Let The Right One In so much he did an American version because he essentially thinks he can do better.

Despite the fact that she acknowledges a remake would destroy it, Fox doesn't only endorse the idea, she wants to change a character's sex and fundamentally the whole dynamic of the story (I bet my life that she wants to be David). Call me crazy, but I don't want the films in my heart changed at all. I don't want them edited, re-stored, with added scenes and ridiculous Saturday afternoon dubbing. Thankfully every film Fox has starred in apart from Transformers has bombed but I wouldn't be surprised if some idiot producer sees gold and tries to do this. And for that, I wouldn't brake if she was crossing the road.