27/07/2010

The Dance Movie

Last night I watched Step Up 3D and let me tell you, this is not an experience I will be forgetting anytime soon. Ever since Streetdance 3D did surprisingly well, certain journalists suddenly think it's acceptable to write articles on this "new wave" of dance popularity. Wrong, dance movies have been around for ages but it's only recently that they've become so shit. Actually that's incorrect. The better the dancing gets, the worse the film gets.

In 1984 - Breakin' which starred famous b-boy Boogaloo Shrimp and lead to the amazingly named sequel Breakin' 2 - Electric Boogaloo. Anything starring someone called 'Boogaloo Shrimp' is worthy of my time.

That very same year the Harry Belafonte produced (srsly) Beat Street was released. I've never actually seen either of these babies but if I come across a 10p VHS copy in my local Oxfam I will snap them up. I should be more specific when I say dance movie because I'm not going to mention films like Billy Elliott or even Dirty Dancing, Flashdance and Footloose. I'm talking about the hip hop, streetdance based films that began with Save The Last Dance and led to the unbelievebly cringe worthy rubbish I saw last night.

Save The Last Dance isn't even a particularly good film but at least they attempted to give the (very good) actors on show something to work with and an excuse to see Julia Stiles build on the shockingly good moves she displayed in 10 Things I Hate About You. As much as I laughed and sighed my way through Step Up 3D (the extra dimension does nothing btw), the dancing is incredible. Dance movies have became an identical genre to blockbuster action films in the sense that the explosions/dancing is so good that ultimately no-one gives a shit about how shit it is. And it is shit. Trust me.