09/07/2010

Praising ITV2....and ITV3.....and ITV4

The most exciting thing about getting cable/Sky for the first time (for me it was about 1995), is knowing that you have endless channels to flick through and waste your life watching. Freeview and Sky has pretty much rendered the 5 terrestrial channels obsolete but occasionally, channels like BBC3, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 can be quite useful. And no, not just for the losers who stay up til 3am watching series one repeats of Gossip Girl whilst eating bowl after bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (GUILTY!), but for actual people who like to watch a good film or two.

This week in particular the extra ITV channels have been good to me. As I'm a journalist and totally broke, my Saturday nights are mostly spent flicking through all 700 channels Virgin has provided me with to find a film to watch. Saturday threw up Gremlins, a film I have not watched since the evil, little bastards gave me nightmares as a 4 year old. They still scare me and when I flicked over to BBC1 and saw this...

I turned over immediately. Con-fucking-Air on a Saturday night? Hell yeah. During the week ITVinfinity kept the goods coming with a cult classic that for some reason I've never seen. Again, whoever invented Sky+/V+ needs to be officially made a God because they have changed my life and everybody else who has no time to watch all the crap available on TV.

Hungover and melting into my sofa I finally caught John Carpenter's Escape From New York. Unfortunately, Scott Free productions are planning on remaking this but at least we'll always have Kurt, Isaac Hayes, that woman with a great rack and Carpenter's typical Casio keyboard score. Seriously that thing must be shot to shit. But whilst TV repeats can give us a chance to see films that have passed us by they also remind us of old favourites.

Exibit A:

Exibit B:

Wonderful. I've just realised this post is dangerously close to having no point so the point is, whenever you're bemoaning the fact that multiple channels are only good for giving James Corden more opportunity to annoy us, there's usually some great stuff they to be had. Was that a point?