04/08/2010

Yawn


Another day, another film poll. This time it's the greatest ever family film poll conducted by Radio Times which is full of obvious and worryingly boring choices. Here we go...

1. ET the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - I've never understood the fascination with this film. Yes it's sweet and all but it never did anything for me as a 4 year old and it still doesn't 21 years later. I blame people who cry at anything for voting for this.

2. The Wizard of Oz (1939) Hmm, I can't fault this choice but again, kinda obvious. Although that doesn't neccessarily mean it shouldn't make an appearance just because I've always preferred The Wiz...

3. Mary Poppins (1964) Hate it. Sorry. I'd take Bedknobs and Broomsticks over this shit any day of the week.

4. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) I've never seen it. Srsly.

5. Toy Story (1995) No argument with this at all.

6. Shrek (2001) Hmm, I'm torn with this. Shrek has been ruined by too many sequels but is still pretty good. Good enough to make an all time list? No.

7. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) No argument with this.

8. Back to the Future (1985) I wouldn't usually call this a family film but Back To The Future deserves to be in every film list just because it's so awesome.

9. The Jungle Book (1967) I'm so glad people voted for this over one of the most overrated films of all time, The Lion King. I have no time for that.

10. The Sound Of Music (1965) This is the one with Nazis, right?

Where's The Iron Giant? The Princess Bride? Beauty and the Beast? Bedknobs and Broomsticks? Beethoven? Honey, I Shrunk The Kids? BIG?! Home Alone? That's it readers of The Radio Times, you are dead to me.

P.S. I asked my Twitter followers what they'd vote for and the best responses are as follows...

Kieran Yates - "Boogie Nights"
Mike Ballet - "Weird Science shits on E.T.!"
Kinnemaniac - "My Neighbour Totoro. Gentle in tone yet tough in subject matter. Fantastical yet grounded by realism. All ages catered."
Ajnorman87 - "Labyrinth...relive the Bowie greatness"
SiRenshaw - "
Bedknobs & Broomsticks is the fucking bollocks. Best cinematic football match of all time. Even better than When Saturday Comes. That's right."
andyffgibbons - RE: Star Wars "A dysfunctional family film. Boy snogs sister, battles father in epic good vs. evil encounter. Jeremy Kyle, over to you.."
twig84 - "flight of the navigator , the witches, the princess bride, krull and home alone!"
Gwailofilms - "The Princess Bride is utterly amazing, Back to the Future is your kids' intro to potential incest, Toy Story is perfection."