28/09/2010

Buried


Buried is a film that has excited and intrigued me over the last couple of months. The simple premise seemed genius - man wakes up in a buried coffin - but almost impossible to pull off. We're constantly reminded that our attention span is at an all time low so it was difficult to see how director Rodrigo Cortés (who I hear is a delightful fellow) was going to keep us hooked for 94 minutes. Make no mistake people, the entire film is in a box with only Ryan Reynolds for entertainment.

Cortés uses every trick in the book to keep the suspense going and the film is all the better for it. The editing, music and cinematography are excellent and surprisingly creative especially considering the constraints involved. Some directors have said that it's better to have limits when making a film as when everything is available you tend to lose focus and just throw everything you can at the camera in the vain hope that it'll stick.

Of course, that's all well and good but if you don't have a leading man who can keep the audience interested then it's all a waste of time. Ryan Reynolds is someone I've always liked even though I've never had a reason to. I pretty much hate everything he's been in but he won me over with this. Best of all, he used a word that is almost never used in American films...

CUNT

I liked Buried. A lot. It's ambitious and somewhat fantastic. I liked it so much that I won't bother saying how crap one of the voice over actors are. Oh, whoops.

This has nothing to do with anything but when you Google Image 'buried', some hilarious things pop up.


HAHAHAHA, that cat is dying.