22/10/2010

Hey look! OWLS!!!!

Regular readers will remember this post in which I listed some films that I have little or no interest in. True to my word, I decided to attend a screening of Zack Snyder's Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole early on a Sunday morning when I still had the stale taste of whiskey, wine and jagerbombs in my mouth. Delightful.

My thoughts basically mirror what everyone else has said, which is that while the imagery is visually stunning, the story is just too drab. Owls armed with metal claws and shields should be the perfect viewing experience for a hangover but I just found myself completely and utterly bored. I usually take my young nephew to Sunday screenings and let his reaction influence mine because these films are aimed at him, not me. Since he was unavailable I can't say whether or not the battle scenes are a bit strong for younger eyes as most people have said, but LOTG:TOOG'H does have the best slo-mo-flight-in-the-rain scene ever.