17/10/2010

LFF: Never Let Me Go

Side Note: First of all, allow me to apologise for my lack of LFF coverage so far. The press screenings started 3 weeks ago and as I've seen over 30 films already, I'm staring a huge backlog in the face which has worsened thanks to the press conferences and junkets I'm spending my days at. So yeah, sorry.

Adapted from Kazuo Ishiguro's 2005 novel of the same name, Never Let Me Go is a thoroughly British affair that seems perfect as the opener to this year's fest. Set in an alternate world where people live to 100, cloning is acceptable and people are created only for their organs, the sci-fi element remains a small factor in this taut and emotional drama.

Despite everything that happens I never felt like I was going to break into tears as all of the emotional is appropriately restrained if rather cold. In case you didn't know already, Carey Mulligan is the dog's bullocks and the most exciting actress to come from our shores for a long while. So luminous, affecting and devastatingly gripping is her performance that she shows us all how rubbish an actress Keira Knightley really is. As for Andrew Garfield, I could say how good he is but can we talk about that amazing barnet?

Oh yeah, he knows.