10/01/2011

Forgotten Gem: Earth Girls Are Easy (1988)

After you've finished staring at that magnificent sandal/white sock combo, allow me to tell you about this lovable piece of trash from the 80s. Valarie Gail is a manicurist with a thing for dodgy Blossom-style hats and impossibly high cut bikini bottoms. Her life is turned UPSIDE DOWN when she catches her fiancee in the act with some skank and an alien spaceship lands in her pool. Separated by their respective colours, she soon discovers that underneath their fur they're actually half decent looking men. What a plot. Here's the trailer:


Before you start I am fully aware that I'm pushing the boundaries of taste (well, more so) by classing this as a forgotten gem. Mainly because I haven't seen it since I was about 14 and partly because any feelings I have for it is tinged with the rampant nostalgia of a person who recently purchased a box full of vintage My Little Pony toys. Still, I remember there being a lot of sweet, harmless charm and a couple LOLs involved in a film that stars both a very young Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans. Besides, how many films do you know that were based on songs?*

*this is not a genuine request, don't tweet me.