17/05/2012

Scarlett Johansson is kind of awesome


I've never been a particularly huge fan of Scarlett Johansson because her acting skills are somewhat limited and if I wanted to stare at a woman's rack I'd just look down, but despite that, I'd like to bring more attention to her recent article for The Huffington Post. I've always found her insistence that she never intended to become a bombshell empty because, frankly, no-one forced her to pose for various men's publications in a state of undress and her ridiculous stance on what constitutes as a "real woman" is incredibly infuriating (see also: Kate Winslet). But in what may be a response to several questions regarding her diet and workout regime, Johansson has written a very classy and relevant response to the constant attention people - well, women - receive from gossip rags about their figure instead of their work.

The entire piece is worth a read but if you can't be bothered, here's a few snippets:

On how "normal people" can achieve results without the help of a trainer:

"People come in all shapes and sizes and everyone has the capability to meet their maximum potential. Once filming is completed, I'll no longer need to rehash the 50 ways to lift a dumbbell, but I'll commit to working out at least 30 minutes a day and eating a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables and lean proteins. Pull ups, crunches, lunges, squats, jumping jacks, planks, walking, jogging and push ups are all exercises that can be performed without fancy trainers or gym memberships. I've realised through this process that no matter how busy my life may be, I feel better when I take a little time to focus on staying active. We can all pledge to have healthy bodies no matter how diverse our lifestyles may be."

On some of the bullshit claims made by the evil tabloids:

"Since dedicating myself to getting into "superhero shape," several articles regarding my weight have been brought to my attention. Claims have been made that I've been on a strict workout routine regulated by co-stars, whipped into shape by trainers I've never met, eating sprouted grains I can't pronounce and ultimately losing 14 pounds off my 5'3" frame. Losing 14 pounds out of necessity in order to live a healthier life is a huge victory. I'm a petite person to begin with, so the idea of my losing this amount of weight is utter lunacy."

On the effect these publications have on everyone:

"How are we supposed to view articles highlighting celebrity cellulite and not sulk in the mirror, imagining a big red arrow pointing to various parts of our bodies? The media has packaged for us an unhealthy idea that one must suffer loss, be in the middle of a nervous breakdown, feel pressure from friends or coworkers, battle divorce or have a bitter dispute with an ex in order to get into acceptable bikini shape."

On the responsibility she feels for young people influenced by the articles:

"The concept of 'Stars Are Just Like Us!" makes us feel connected to lifestyles that can sometime seem out of this world. Yes, celebrities are just like us. They struggle with demons and overcome obstacles and have annoying habits and battle vices. That said, I would be absolutely mortified to discover that some 15-year-old girl in Kansas City read one of these "articles" and decided she wasn't going to eat for a couple of weeks so she too could "crash diet" and look like Scarlett Johansson."

Well, isn't that just great? I find it hard to believe that mega-millionaire celebs have the same struggles as us peons because they have the cash to fund a private chef and personal trainer but the point remains: far too many publications aim and claim to empower women people to love themselves while endorsing some healthy diet in the same issue. For Johansson to address this in such a genuine and articulate manner makes me believe she's more than just a pair of tits in a tight Dolce & Gabbana dress. Bravo.