08/02/2013

Famke Janssen joins the illustrious list of actors who've shat on their own films

Although it's old news I've only just heard about Famke Janssen boldly declaring that she only took a role in the much-maligned Hansel & Gretal: Witch Hunters 3D because she wanted to pay off her mortgage. Some would say that's honest while others think she's just made herself sound like a nob while backhandedly bashing the hundreds of people who worked on the 88 minute movie. And that's not the end of it, she basically came out and admitted that she wanted some money in an interview with Shock Till You Drop:

Was it director Tommy Wirkola's energy that drew you to this project?
 
Famke Janssen:  There are a lot of factors that go into a decision about what to do.  But, the main factor [laughs] at the time was money because I took three years off from acting.

Personally I'd take a hunk of cash to write for Horse & Hound if it meant paying of my debts but it's just egregious when actors do it, and she's not alone:

Sam Worthington on Terminator Salvation:
“I gotta be a bit better when I’m looking through my scripts!”
 Yes, because everything he's done since has been gold.

Matthew Goode on Leap Year:
 
“That was the main reason I took it - so that I could come home at the weekends. It wasn’t because of the script, trust me. I was told it was going to be like The Quiet Man with a Vaughan Williams soundtrack, but in the end it turned out to have pop music all over it. A bit like Chasing Liberty again. Do I feel I let myself down? No. Was it a bad job? Yes, it was. But, you know, I had a nice time and I got paid.”

He only said this because he wanted people to not notice his offensively bad Irish accent. No sale, Goode.

Arnold Schwarzenegger on Red Sonja:
“It’s the worst film I have ever made. Now, when my kids get out of line, they’re sent to their room and forced to watch Red Sonja 10 times. I never have too much trouble with them.” 
He obviously hasn't seen Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

Mark Wahlberg on The Happening:
“I was such a huge fan of Amy Adams. We’d actually had the luxury of having lunch before to talk about another movie, and it was a bad movie that I did. She dodged the bullet. I don’t want to tell you what movie. All right, The Happening. Fuck it. It is what it is. Fucking trees, man. The plants. Fuck it. You can’t blame me for wanting to try to play a science teacher.”
But The Funky Bunch are OK?

Alec Guinness on Star Wars: 

 "Apart from the money, I regret having embarked on the film. I like them well enough, but it's not an acting job, the dialogue - which is lamentable - keeps being changed and only slightly improved, and I find myself old and out of touch with the young."

This miserable bastard refused to sign autographs for kids. Fuck him.

Sir Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:
"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

You know what? I have nothing to say about that. That quote is a classic.